Take your dog to work day
Take your dog to work day

21st June is ‘Take Your Dog To Work Day’, according to Pet Sitters International, and here at Moxie and Mettle, and at our Rustic and Rural recruitment agency, we’ve got treats at the ready and the water bowls refreshed. In fact, we’re always ready to welcome our four-pawed friends into the office with us any day of the year.

Rustic and Rural are specialist recruiters in agriculture, farming, equine, canine, animal health, the environment, and sustainability, specifically working with marketing, PR, digital, social media, creative, and office support vacancies. With our decades of experience recruiting in the canine world, we know that many professionals are looking for pet-friendly working environments. 

And the huge spike in employees getting lockdown puppies means the desire for dog-friendly workspaces has risen hugely over the last few years. In fact The 2022 PAW Report found that dogs were being left alone for longer periods of time as people returned to their workplaces and reduced the amount of home-based work hours after the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions were no longer in place. This can be stressful for the dogs and can cause separation anxiety.

Allowing your staff to bring their dog to work can have measurable wellbeing benefits for your employees as well as the dogs themselves: Research by Lincoln University, sponsored by Purina*,  showed that employees reported 22% higher satisfaction with working conditions when they take their dog to work often

Jamie Klingler is the Chief Communications Officer for the Tomorrow Group and brings her puppy Smalls into the office on the days she goes in: 

“Smalls is the greeting committee and wants to say hello to everyone before we start the day.  He’s one of five dogs from the group of agencies in Farringdon that visit the offices on Charterhouse Square.  The dogs are a welcome talking point, a moment to laugh and play or a break from intense meetings and work.  Especially with training a puppy to be ready for the office, I’ve learned to make sure to walk him in and to be the first in, so that Smalls gets over the initial zoomies and barking and so he is tired and sleeps through till lunch, and I coordinate schedules with a colleague who is allergic as to be conscious and respectful of her needs. For me, a company that allows dogs is an organisation that cares about what their employees care about and makes room for our four legged friends as well.”

Meanwhile, dog-friendly offices have divided the LinkedIn community:  A LinkedIn poll carried out by People Management in November last year found that nearly three quarters (73 per cent) of respondents would be happy to work in a dog-friendly office. The remaining 27 per cent of the 2,800 respondents in the poll said they would not want their workplace to be dog-friendly. So if you’re contemplating turning your office or HQ into a dog-friendly workplace, be sure to consider your colleagues who may have allergies, for example, and listen to concerns of anyone who may have a fear of dogs or other wellbeing concerns. 

If you’re an employer looking to grow your canine-loving team or a skilled marketing professional looking for your next career move, get in touch to find out how we can support you.

If you are a candidate and bringing your pooch to work, working from home because of them, or having flexible working to allow for dog care is all absolutely key to your job search, make sure you say up front and work out what the arrangements are from the outset.  Don’t wait until you get a job offer to then say you can’t take the job because of the needs of your pet! (Same as if you have any other reason why you need or just want that flexibility, just be honest!)

Share This